Q. What is the difference between a "Drop" and a "Withdrawal"?

A drop takes the course completely off your transcript; a withdrawal is indicated by a "W" on your transcript but has no effect on your gpa.

While it is true that it is not a good idea to have too many "W"s on your record, there are occasions when it is the better alternative. Please cousult with the Dean's Office or the Registrar if you have a question about this.

The deadline for dropping a course occurs about four weeks into the semester. The deadline for withdrawal is about four weeks from the end of the semester. While you can drop a course online you should consult with your adviser before doing so. Withdrawal requires the signatures of both your instructor and your adviser.

Q. What is the "sick list"?
Actually, there's really no such thing. When you are ill, you should go to the Health Center. If the Health Center staff believe that you are too ill to attend class for several days, they will notify the Dean's Office. Whenever you visit the Health Center you will receive a form that describes your condition. You should keep this for your records. Your instructors are not automatically notified that you are sick, so you are responsible for keeping them informed. Instructors will be notified if a student is hospitalized or ill for an extended period of time.

Q: What kind of average do I need to maintain my scholarship?
It depends on the scholarship. Some scholarships require "Satisfactory Academic Progress," others require a 3.0, and a few require a 3.3. Any time you have a concern regarding your scholarship you should make an appointment in the Dean's Office to discuss your situation.

Q. What happens if I get put on the Warning/Probation list?
Being placed on the Warning List means that you have a cumulative GPA between 1.8 and 2.0. Normally, being placed on the Probation List means you have a cumulative GPA below 1.8. You cannot play or practice any varsity sport (including riding) if you are placed on warning or probation. You may also be placed on the Probation List instead of the Warning List if you have been on the Warning/Probation List in prior semesters.

Q: How do I get credit for summer school work?
You must first fill out a summer school approval form. This must be done before you leave in May. Once you have completed the course, get an official transcript sent to the Registrar's Office. You will then receive credit for the course if the grade is a C- or better. You will receive the credit hours but not the grade. Remember, you can only have 18 summer school hours.
Q: What does a mid-term warning mean? Do my parents get a copy of the mid-term warning?
A mid-term warning is given to a student who has an average grade below a C- so that the student is aware of her status in a particular class and has the time and information necessary to improve her work. No, parents do not receive a copy of a mid-term warning.
Q: Can I change my adviser?
Yes. Advisers would prefer you change rather than be unhappy. During your first two years you can change by getting a form from the Dean's Office. During your junior and senior years, you work with the adviser(s) for your major(s).
Q: How many credits do I need to take each semester?
An average of 30 credit hours per year is sufficient to reach the 120 credit hours needed for graduation. There are a lot of ways to reach the 120 credit hours. You must petition the Dean (with your adviser's permission) in order to carry an overload (over 17 hours). Students enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours during a semester are not considered full-time students.

Q: Do I need to have a minor?

Q: What does it take to make the Dean's List or First-Year Honors?
First-year students must achieve a term GPA of 3.3 or better with 12 graded academic hours in order to receive first-year honors. For the Dean's List, upper-class women need a term GPA of 3.5 or better in at least 12 graded academic hours.

Q: How does the P/CR/NC (Pass/Credit/No Credit) option work?
You may choose to take a course Pass/Credit/No Credit if your GPA is 2.0 or above. However, you should be aware of the following:
1. You must get a form from the Registrar and have it signed by your advisor.
2. This arrangement must be made by the last day to add a course.
3. If the grade is a C- or above, you will receive a grade of P (pass); if your grade is between D+ and D- you will receive a grade of CR (credit); if your grade is an F you will receive a grade of NC (no credit).

4. First-Year Honors and Dean's List are based on the number of graded hours. If you have fewer than 12 graded academic hours in a semester, even if you have a 4.0 GPA, you will not be eligible for one of these honors.

5. Students in their first semester at Sweet Briar are not eligible to take a course using this option, since they have no recorded GPA.

6. No more than two courses may be taken using this option. Some courses (including foreign language courses being taken for a graduation requirement and courses taken to count toward the English and English/Creative Writing majors) may not be taken using this option.

Q: Do you have a question to ask the Dean's Office?

Dean's Office - http://www.dean.sbc.edu/faq.html
email: deansoffice@sbc.edu
This page is maintained by Alix Ingber
Last updated: October 16, 1999 - 9:33 PM